ABUJA — The Peoples Democratic Party faction led by Kabiru Turaki has cleared former President Goodluck Jonathan as its sole presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections. The decision was announced on Tuesday after a screening exercise at the Transcorp Hilton in Abuja.
Former Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu, representing screening committee chairman and former Vice President Namadi Sambo, made the announcement. He said Jonathan was granted a waiver because his long record in public office made further screening unnecessary.
“He was deputy governor, became governor, became vice president, and became president. Therefore, the party granted him a waiver and cleared him as the PDP presidential candidate for the 2027 election,” Aliyu declared.
Jonathan did not appear for the screening. He also failed to show up the previous day when he was expected to submit his nomination form. Despite his absence, the faction declared him cleared and ready to contest.
Jonathan’s Silence Raises Questions
Jonathan has not made any public statement confirming his interest in the 2027 race. His silence has puzzled political observers. Some analysts say the PDP faction may be using his name to generate political energy without his full commitment.
However, the ADC reacted strongly to the news. The party described Jonathan’s potential return as a political earthquake. “Whether people like him or not, Jonathan remains one of the few Nigerian politicians whose name still carries national emotion,” the ADC said in a statement.
The ADC added that Jonathan’s entry into the race would force every political camp to rethink its 2027 strategy. It said his decision to accept or reject the PDP’s nomination will be one of the most watched political moments of the year.
A Divided PDP
The Jonathan clearance applies only to the Turaki-led faction of the PDP. The rival Wike faction has not endorsed Jonathan. Nigeria’s Supreme Court is yet to rule on which faction controls the legitimate PDP national structure.
Furthermore, Jonathan’s last presidential campaign ended in a historic defeat to Muhammadu Buhari in 2015. He is widely praised for conceding that election peacefully. Since then, he has focused on diplomatic work and election observation across Africa.
Political analysts say Jonathan’s return would significantly complicate the 2027 race. A unified opposition candidate with Jonathan’s name recognition could present a serious challenge to President Tinubu. However, experts warn that unity remains elusive across Nigeria’s deeply fragmented opposition.
Discover more from News247 Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
