Authorities in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have commenced the demolition of illegal structures in Abuja following directives from the Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike. The move is part of efforts to address recurring flooding in the city and restore proper drainage systems.
The demolition exercise, which began on Tuesday, targeted buildings and makeshift structures erected along waterways and drainage channels. Officials said the action was necessary to prevent further obstruction of water flow, which has contributed to severe flooding in recent weeks.
The FCT Administration explained that the operation is focused on areas most affected by flooding, including Lokogoma, Trademore Estate, and other flood-prone communities. Residents in these areas have repeatedly suffered losses due to heavy rains, with homes and businesses damaged.
Related News
Speaking during the exercise, the Director of Development Control, Mukhtar Galadima, said the demolition was in line with the minister’s directive to safeguard lives and property. “We are removing structures that block natural water paths. This is not just about enforcement but about protecting residents from disasters,” he stated.
The FCT Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has also warned residents against building on flood plains. Officials noted that despite repeated warnings, many developers continue to ignore planning regulations, putting communities at risk.
Some affected residents expressed concern about the demolition, citing financial losses and displacement. However, officials maintained that the exercise was necessary to prevent future tragedies. “We understand the pain, but safety must come first,” Galadima added.
Environmental experts have long argued that poor urban planning and disregard for drainage systems are major causes of flooding in Abuja. They say stricter enforcement of building regulations is essential to reduce the impact of heavy rains.
The FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had earlier ordered the demolition of illegal structures after visiting flooded areas. He emphasized that the administration would not compromise on safety and urban planning standards. “We cannot allow people to build on water channels and then complain of flooding. Rules must be respected,” Wike said.
The demolition exercise is expected to continue in phases across the city. Authorities have assured that they will work with relevant agencies to provide relief for displaced residents while ensuring that future developments comply with approved plans.
For many Abuja residents, the hope is that the current measures will bring lasting solutions to the flooding problem, which has become a recurring challenge during the rainy season.
Discover more from News247 Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
