Saturday, 23 May 2026
  • HomePage
  • History
  • My Feed
  • My Interests
  • My Saves
  • Newsletter Page
Subscribe
News247 Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Africa News
    • Crime News
    • Healthy Living
    • Security News
    • World News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Feature
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • 🔥
  • News
  • Politics News
  • Politics News
  • Crime News
  • Business News
  • National News
  • Sports News
  • Business News
  • Crime News
  • World News
Font ResizerAa
News247 NigeriaNews247 Nigeria
  • HomePage
  • History
  • My Feed
  • My Interests
  • My Saves
  • Newsletter Page
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Africa News
    • Crime News
    • Healthy Living
    • Security News
    • World News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Feature
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
News247 Nigeria > Blog > News > DHQ: JAS Terrorists Behind Oyo School Kidnap, Not Criminals
News

DHQ: JAS Terrorists Behind Oyo School Kidnap, Not Criminals

Publisher
Last updated: May 23, 2026 12:57 am
Publisher
Share
Defence Headquarters
SHARE

ABUJA — The Defence Headquarters has confirmed that the recent kidnapping of schoolchildren and teachers in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists belonging to the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad group, commonly known as JAS. The military said these are the same Boko Haram-linked terrorists who were dislodged from the northeast through sustained military operations.

DHQ Director of Defence Media Operations Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja signed the statement released on Thursday. He said it is inaccurate to describe the attackers as ordinary criminals. The terrorists stormed three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State on May 16, abducting pupils, teachers, and other residents.

“The recent incidence of kidnapping in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” Onoja said in the statement.

READ ALSO:
  • Opposition Unites Behind ADC for 2027, Amaechi Declares
  • Abuja’s Dubai-Style City Walk: Nyesom Wike Unveils 200-Hectare Mega Project
  • Minister Explains Exceptions to 16-Year Admission Rule for Gifted Students

The DHQ denied that it had earlier played down the threat. Officials said earlier communications were intended to provide intelligence-based context and prevent public panic. However, the military stressed that it never referred to the attackers as mere criminals.

Terrorism Moves South

The confirmation that JAS terrorists carried out the Oyo attack is alarming for southwest Nigeria. For years, the northeast has been the primary theatre of jihadist activity. The movement of dislodged terrorists into new regions signals a dangerous geographic shift in Nigeria’s terrorism problem.

READ ALSO:
  • Lizzy Anjorin Wins N1B Defamation Case Against Iyabo Ojo in Lagos
  • Two Nigerian States Enact Laws Harmonizing Tax Collection
  • Tinubu Renames UNIMAID as Muhammadu Buhari University

Security analysts say this was predictable. As the military intensified pressure on JAS and ISWAP in Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa states, displaced fighters began moving into less defended territories. The northwest, the north-central, and now the southwest have all felt the consequences.

Furthermore, the DHQ said troops remain actively deployed across affected areas. The military is working with police, DSS, and local stakeholders to locate the abducted victims and dismantle the terrorist networks responsible.

Funeral as Search Continues

One of the teachers killed during the Oriire attack, Adesiyan Adegboye, aged 49, was buried in Ogbomoso on Friday, May 22. His death has become a symbol of the human cost of insecurity in Nigeria’s farming communities.

Rescue operations for the abducted teachers and students continue. Security agencies have not confirmed how many victims remain in captivity. Governor Seyi Makinde’s administration has faced mounting pressure to do more to secure rural communities in Oyo State.

The DHQ said the Armed Forces of Nigeria remain resolute in dismantling all criminal and terrorist networks. It urged Nigerians to report suspicious activities in their communities and to cooperate fully with security agencies to help prevent further attacks.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related


Discover more from News247 Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

TAGGED:DHQJAS TerroristsNational NewsOyo KidnapSouthwest Security
Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article South Sudan Added to Ebola Risk List as Regional Spread Feared
Next Article Tinubu Names 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina as New JAMB Chief

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might Also Like

News

Dangote Refinery Taps Ex-Shell, OQ8 Boss as New CEO

By Publisher
News

SDP Leaders Pay Tribute as Ex-Rep Oba Olakusehin, Late Olubadan, Passes On

By Publisher
News

Nollywood War: Gideon Okeke Blasts Jim Iyke Over ‘Disrespectful’ Birthday Message to Kate Henshaw

By Publisher
News

SWAN Praises DOA Foundation’s Grassroots Football Impact

By Publisher
News247 Nigeria
Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Rss

About US

News247NG is a Nigerian digital news platform delivering fast, credible and up-to-date reports on politics, business, technology, entertainment, sports and world events. Our goal is to keep readers informed 24/7 with accurate and responsible journalism.
Information Pages
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • COOKIE POLICY
  • DISCLAIMER
  • DMCA / COPYRIGHT
Useful Links
  • HomePage
  • History
  • My Feed
  • My Interests
  • My Saves
  • Newsletter Page

© News247ng Nigeria. AuspiceWeb Design. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d