ABUJA, May 18, 2026 — A Federal High Court in Abuja has granted former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai bail of N100 million. Justice Joyce Abdulmalik delivered the ruling on Monday, May 18. El-Rufai must also produce a surety in the same amount before his release.
The court set strict conditions for the bail. The surety must live in the Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja. They must present the original Certificate of Occupancy for a property, which will be held by the court registry.
In addition, the surety must be a serving federal civil servant at Grade Level 17 or above. Financial documents must be verified through a bank manager’s letter within the court’s jurisdiction. The conditions show the court is taking no chances with El-Rufai’s compliance.
El-Rufai’s legal team welcomed the bail ruling. His lead counsel, Ubong Akpan, said the decision is a step toward justice. However, he said his client has been held unjustly for months and that the charges against him have no merit.
A Long Road to Bail
El-Rufai first went to the EFCC on February 16, 2026. He was arrested over alleged corruption linked to his time as Kaduna governor. The state assembly had earlier indicted him over an alleged diversion of N432 billion in public funds.
He was initially released on administrative bail by the EFCC. However, operatives of the Department of State Services arrested him again outside the EFCC headquarters. He was later transferred to ICPC custody, where he spent weeks before bail was secured.
Moreover, the DSS filed separate cybercrime charges against El-Rufai. The charges relate to an allegation that he unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu. El-Rufai has denied all the allegations.
Political Backdrop
El-Rufai’s arrest has become a major political issue. He is a prominent member of the ADC and one of President Tinubu’s fiercest critics. The ADC previously described him as a political prisoner.
Political analysts say the government’s pursuit of El-Rufai serves a dual purpose. It keeps a key opposition figure tied up in legal battles during a critical election period. It also sends a warning to other politicians considering joining the opposition.
El-Rufai has filed multiple human rights suits against the EFCC, ICPC, DSS, and the federal government. His lawyers say they will pursue all legal avenues to clear his name and secure his freedom ahead of the 2027 elections.
Discover more from News247 Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
