ABUJA — The Nigerian Medical Association has formally called on President Bola Tinubu to order a full public inquiry into the EFCC’s raid on the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital. The NMA made the demand in a statement released on Saturday.
Armed EFCC operatives stormed the hospital on May 12. They arrested Professor Eyo Ekpe, a cardiothoracic surgeon, and four other staff members. The incident triggered an immediate and indefinite strike by doctors across Akwa Ibom State.
NMA President Bala Audu said the conduct of the EFCC was unprofessional and dangerous. He said no anti-corruption operation should endanger the lives of patients or disrupt emergency medical care. “A hospital is a sanctuary. It must be treated as such,” Audu said.
The NMA demanded that Tinubu personally intervene to resolve the crisis. The association also called for the unconditional release of all detained staff and a public apology from the EFCC to the hospital and the medical community.
Strike Continues
Doctors in Akwa Ibom State remained on strike as of Sunday morning. Health services at the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital are severely disrupted. Patients requiring emergency care have been redirected to other facilities.
Meanwhile, the EFCC has defended its actions. Agency spokesperson Dele Oyewale said operatives visited the hospital to verify a medical report tied to a fraud case before a federal court in Uyo. He said the operatives were attacked with stones and illegally locked inside the hospital.
However, Professor Ekpe gave a different account at a press conference last week. He said he was processing a response to the EFCC’s inquiry when operatives returned and arrested him without justification. He said teargas was fired inside the hospital compound.
Political Pressure Builds
Former presidential candidate Peter Obi condemned the raid earlier this week. He called the use of teargas inside a hospital a thoughtless act that endangered patients and staff.
In addition, the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria and the Association of Resident Doctors have demanded compensation for injured staff and disciplinary action against EFCC operatives involved in the raid.
The Presidency has not yet responded to the NMA’s request for a public inquiry. Health advocates say the silence is troubling. They warn that the ongoing strike in Akwa Ibom State is putting lives at risk and demands urgent government attention.
Discover more from News247 Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
