Wednesday, 20 May 2026
  • HomePage
  • History
  • My Feed
  • My Interests
  • My Saves
  • Newsletter Page
Subscribe
News247 Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Africa News
    • Crime News
    • Healthy Living
    • Security News
    • World News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Feature
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • 🔥
  • News
  • Politics News
  • Crime News
  • Business News
  • Politics News
  • Sports News
  • Business News
  • National News
  • World News
  • 2027 elections
Font ResizerAa
News247 NigeriaNews247 Nigeria
  • HomePage
  • History
  • My Feed
  • My Interests
  • My Saves
  • Newsletter Page
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Africa News
    • Crime News
    • Healthy Living
    • Security News
    • World News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Feature
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
News247 Nigeria > Blog > Heath News > US Screens Air Travellers, Suspends Visas From Ebola Zones
Heath NewsNews

US Screens Air Travellers, Suspends Visas From Ebola Zones

Editor
Last updated: May 20, 2026 12:45 pm
Editor
Share
Ebola syrub
SHARE

WASHINGTON — The United States government has announced new measures to prevent the spread of Ebola from the ongoing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. The US is screening air travellers from affected areas and has temporarily suspended visa services in parts of DRC.

US health authorities confirmed the measures on Monday. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said airport screening will involve temperature checks, symptom questionnaires, and observation protocols for travellers arriving from Ebola-affected regions.

The State Department confirmed that visa processing has been temporarily suspended at select consular locations in the DRC. The agency said the suspension is a precautionary step to protect consular staff and reduce the movement of individuals from heavily affected areas.

READ ALSO:
  • White Bread Health Risks: 5 Dangerous Side Effects Revealed
  • DHQ Kills 20 ISIS Fighters in Borno After Al-Minuki Strike
  • Trump’s Name Surfaces in Epstein Files: What It Means for 2024

The Ebola outbreak in DRC and Uganda has claimed over 80 lives. The World Health Organisation declared it a Public Health Emergency of International Concern last week. The Bundibugyo strain behind the current outbreak is considered less deadly than the Zaire strain but still highly dangerous.

Global Concern Grows

The US response signals growing international concern about the outbreak. Several European countries have also introduced entry screening measures for travellers from the affected region. The WHO has urged all countries with direct flight connections to DRC and Uganda to introduce health screening at ports of entry.

READ ALSO:
  • No Pay, No Work: ASUU Strike Looms as NANS Appeals for Dialogue With FG
  • Utomi Slams Party Defections Ahead of 2027 Elections, Warns of Democratic Decay
  • Minister Explains Exceptions to 16-Year Admission Rule for Gifted Students

For Nigeria, the US measures are a reminder that the international community is taking the outbreak very seriously. The NCDC has already raised its alert level and deployed additional surveillance at Nigerian airports and land borders.

Furthermore, Nigeria has a large diaspora community in the US. Many Nigerians travel regularly between both countries. Nigerian health officials say they are coordinating with US counterparts to monitor returning travellers and ensure rapid detection of any suspected cases.

What It Means for Africa

The temporary visa suspension affects Africans planning to travel to the US from affected zones. Civil society groups in DRC have expressed concern that the suspension could disrupt humanitarian workers and health responders who need to travel.

The WHO said it is working with the US government to ensure that emergency health and humanitarian personnel are not blocked from accessing affected areas. It said robust travel restrictions that block aid workers often do more harm than good during outbreak responses.

Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Health has not yet announced any changes to visa processing or entry requirements for travellers from DRC and Uganda. Officials say they are monitoring the situation and will act if the risk level for Nigeria increases significantly.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related


Discover more from News247 Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

TAGGED:DRC OutbreakEbolaHealth NewsTraveller ScreeningUS Health Response
Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Lagos Saved N118bn In Property From Fire Outbreaks in 2025
Next Article Nigerian Scientists Raise Fresh Alarm Over Ebola Border Risk

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might Also Like

News

Sanusi II Urges FG to Revive Nigeria’s Textile Industry

By Publisher
News

Edo Health Crisis: 28 Dead as Lassa Fever, Diphtheria, and Yellow Fever Outbreaks Strike

By Publisher
News

Nigeria Secures WAFCON 2024 Quarter-Final Spot with Late Winner Against Botswana

By Publisher
News

Utomi Slams Party Defections Ahead of 2027 Elections, Warns of Democratic Decay

By Publisher
News247 Nigeria
Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Rss

About US

News247NG is a Nigerian digital news platform delivering fast, credible and up-to-date reports on politics, business, technology, entertainment, sports and world events. Our goal is to keep readers informed 24/7 with accurate and responsible journalism.
Information Pages
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • COOKIE POLICY
  • DISCLAIMER
  • DMCA / COPYRIGHT
Useful Links
  • HomePage
  • History
  • My Feed
  • My Interests
  • My Saves
  • Newsletter Page

© News247ng Nigeria. AuspiceWeb Design. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d