ABUJA — Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters has confirmed that sustained airstrikes against ISIS-linked terrorists in the northeast killed at least 20 fighters. The strikes hit the Metele area of Borno State over the weekend.
The military said the operation is part of intensified action following the joint Nigeria-US strike that killed ISIS global number two Abu-Bilal al-Minuki on Friday, May 16. DHQ said troops are determined to exploit the momentum from that victory.
DHQ spokesperson Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau said the strikes targeted known terrorist positions. “Our forces are sustaining pressure on the enemy. We will not give them time to regroup,” Gusau said in the statement released on Sunday.
The Defence Headquarters also clarified the identity of al-Minuki after some initial confusion. Officials confirmed he was Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the director of global operations for ISIS. A different commander had been mistakenly reported dead in 2024.
Metele: A Familiar Battlefield
Metele, in Borno State, has long been a hotspot for terrorist activity. In November 2018, Boko Haram fighters attacked a military base there and killed over 100 Nigerian soldiers in one of the deadliest assaults on the army in years.
Since then, the military has significantly improved its presence in the area. Operation Hadin Kai, the joint military task force for the northeast, has conducted dozens of operations in Metele and surrounding areas.
Furthermore, the Nigerian military said airstrikes are just one part of the offensive. Ground troops are conducting follow-up patrols to clear areas targeted from the air. Intelligence assets are also active in tracking remaining fighters.
US Advisory After Strike
Meanwhile, the United States Mission in Nigeria advised American citizens to heighten personal security following the al-Minuki operation. The advisory urged Americans to limit unnecessary travel in the north and be aware of their surroundings.
Security analysts say retaliation attacks by ISIS-linked groups are possible in the days ahead. They advise civilians in northeast Nigeria to follow military and police guidance and report suspicious activity immediately.
President Tinubu has not yet made a formal statement on the Borno airstrikes. The Presidency said Nigeria’s military is fully in command of ongoing operations and that the government remains committed to securing the northeast.
Discover more from News247 Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
